Monday, September 17, 2012

Central Perk, or How I [Re-]Learned to Love the Swing


For all the free time I've had in New York, and for all Central Park's massiveness, you'd think our existences would have intersected a bit more.  But there remain vast chunks of its terrain that I have yet to explore.  Thanks to a weekend visit from my brudder (pictured, right), and a little help from a smeagolic vice-princess (pictured, left), that has been ever-so-partially remedied.

Starting in the bike-infested southwest corner of the park, we wandered north, through winding paths, past the Belvedere Castle and the giant reservoir, all the way to the northeast corner of the park.  Something like four miles I think, but I didn't even bother trying to map it.  After exiting the park, we walked along its northern edge, (good old 110th Street, for those keeping track) and grabbed some Thai on Amsterdam.

Instead of the typical street history, I'll just give you a brief rundown on the origin of swings (man, that would have been another good option for the title of this post).  According to this seemingly somewhat legitimate source (I mean, you don't get the domain name swingsets.com by knowing jack about swings), swings have been dated back at least to 5th century BC Greek vases.  Man, is there any great idea those people didn't come up with?

No comments:

Post a Comment